Ok so I’ll start by saying that tomorrow is the last day of 2015 and I seriously cannot believe how fast this year has flown by.
On one hand, I’m excited that time seems to be flying by so fast because for me, it means I’ll be living in California again before I know it! On the other hand it sort of makes me feel really sad that I’m growing up and that the uncertain future is rapidly approaching.
I think a lot of people go through this in their 20’s. Some people go away to college and never move back to the house they grew up in, others travel or take job opportunities that change the way they live their lives. As you probably know, my life changed when I got married and moved to North Carolina.
A positive mindset is always key. I was so excited (yet also nervous) about new beginnings and growing up, so excited that I didn’t realize all that I was leaving behind. Of course, only a couple of months after living so far from the things that I been used to for my whole life, I immediately felt a sense of loss and was no longer excited about these new beginnings.
This year was a life changer. It has been difficult at times and I sometimes feel like I’d like to go back to just being engaged, having wedding related parties, living with my mom and working enough side jobs to pay for necessities and support my shopping addiction. As I type though, I sit back and think about the good times to come and I know that this time in my life (although it may not be my favorite) will shape who I am for years to come and it is only a small stepping stone within the path of my life.
This year I celebrated some of the best days of my life but I’ve also let the hard times get me down. My resolution for 2016 is to be happy. To live every day with the joy of just being alive. To push myself to do more and be better.
Each new year is like a fresh start. Resolutions are the motivators that keep us focused on becoming better versions of ourselves. No matter what has happened to you in the year 2015, whether it was good or bad, you get to leave it all behind and just focus on making 2016 the year that you accomplish your goals.
Since I love making lists, I’ve come up with a few resolution ideas incase you’re struggling to find one that you will be able to stick with!
- Fitness- The most common new years resolution usually has to do with losing weight. It’s common because people know that losing that extra 15 pounds or getting into the best shape of their lives will significantly improve their lifestyle as a whole. It’s not an easy one to stick with especially if you love to eat and don’t have a lot of time to workout. BUT, I absolutely recommend that you try to get your body looking and feeling great because when you look and feel healthy you will be more confident and with that confidence you will be more likely to accomplish any other goals on your list. Overall physical appearance and health is always #1 on my list!
- Career Goals- Another year has flown by and you still don’t know what you’re doing with your life. Make 2016 the year that you get your degree or at least the year you start working towards it. If you have your degree and just haven’t found work, make this the year that you find your dream job! You worked your butt off for that degree and you are so worthy of that job, you just have to make it happen!
- Be Nicer- I personally like to make this a goal of my own every day. We sometimes get so caught up in our busy lives that we can come off as rude or mean to family or even random strangers who we encounter throughout the day. Make every encounter a pleasant one, smile at people passing by, ask the cashier at the grocery store how their day is going, hug your loved ones before and after work and don’t let the stress of whatever else is going on in your life affect the way you treat people.
- Address people by their names- This is kind of a strange resolution, but I often have a hard time remembering people’s names just after meeting them. I once met a man in church and I introduced myself to him and his wife. He said “very nice to meet you Victoria” as though he was repeating my name aloud to help him remember it, from then on, every time I saw him he greeted me by my first name. I felt horrible for not remembering his name, but the fact that he remembered my name was pretty awesome to me. Addressing people by their names just after meeting them is a great way to form better relationships. Even if it’s just the waitress at your favorite restaurant, she will probably be flattered that you remembered her name and your dining experience will be a friendly one.
- DO MORE- If you’ve been dying to go to disneyland or go on vacation to Hawaii, this is the year to just do it! There’s always an excuse whether it’s a tight budget or a busy schedule but you only live once and you don’t want to spend your whole life working just to pay the bills. If you don’t have the money then start saving now! Life is an adventure and it should be a fun one, so in 2016 do more of what you love and experience new things!
- Get organized- Something that I love doing is organizing! It makes life so much easier when there is a place for everything and everything is in it’s place… in fact my my mom used to have a refrigerator magnet that said exactly that. Start by getting rid of the things you don’t need or no longer use. Have a yard sale and make some extra cash to save for that vacation you want to go on. Donate old clothes and clean out your pantry to give canned foods to homeless shelters. Check out my previous post on organization to get some more ideas.
- Read a book- I love reading, but it can be difficult to get in the mood to start a book. Once I do, I can’t put it down and when I finish, I feel a little smarter for having read it (especially if it’s educational). Whether it’s a book about something that you’d like to educate yourself on or a novel by one of your favorite authors, just buy a book and make it your goal to finish reading it. If you want to educate yourself on how to be a heather person I definitely recommend that you read “The Body Book” by Cameron Diaz. It is SO full of information about how you should be treating your body and it’s written it in a way that makes it super easy to read.
Good luck on making 2016 fabulous! And HAPPY ALMOST NEW YEAR!